This vegetable shrimp curry is one of my favorite healthy dinner recipes. It's easy to whip up and great for people with dietary restrictions. It is gluten-free and can be made vegan by omitting the shrimp and using vegan curry sauce.
VEGGIE PACKED SHRIMP CURRY
Time: 30 Minutes
Makes 4 Servings
1 cup basmati rice
16 oz (1lb) frozen shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bunch kale, washed and dried
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow or bell pepper, chopped
1 jar curry sauce (found in international section)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place frozen shrimp on a large baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 13-15 minutes at 400 degrees F. or until shrimp is fully cooked.
3. As the shrimp bakes, cook the rice on the stovetop according to the directions on the package.
4. To prepare the vegetables, place a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large pot and bring to medium heat. Using your hands, separate the kale leaves from the stem and add the leaves to the pot. Be sure to break the leaves off so that they're small enough to chew. Stir with a wooden spoon, until all kale is wilted.
5. Add the chopped onion and peppers to the pot and stir until tender. Once the vegetables have softened, add the jar of curry sauce to the mix and reduce the heat to medium-low.
6. Remove the shrimp from the oven. Using a fork or slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the curry dish and mix to combine.
7. Serve over rice.
NUTRITIONAL INFO (per serving with rice)
410 calories, 11g fat, 50g carbs, 5g fiber, 1g sugar, 30g protein