With last Monday being the first official day of spring, I wanted to create a fun recipe to welcome the new season! The forecast shows that temperatures are set to rise in DC and I couldn’t be more thrilled! After a colder than average March, I’m looking forward to spending more time outdoors and to pack up my winter clothes for good!
I recently started working with Barney Butter (an almond butter company based out of California) and have found myself swimming in almond butter (a very happy problem!) As a result, I’ve been thinking up creative ways to use the almond butter and thought it would be fun to develop a recipe for grain-free blondies! While the batter is both vegan and gluten-free, the M&Ms do contain dairy, so if you want to make this recipe vegan, I’d recommend using dairy-free chocolate chips and maybe adding some sprinkles for a springy pop of color!
While the ingredients in this recipe are all relatively healthy, these blondies are not low cal. As someone who loves food (of all kinds) I find that it’s important not to just eat food that is low in calories, but to allow myself to eat what my body wants. Ironically enough, when I allow myself to eat what I want (like a blondie after dinner) I find myself being perfectly content with a much smaller portion!
I hope that you enjoy these blondies as much as I do! Happy Spring!
Spring Ahead Blondies
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Makes 12 blondies
1 cup almond butter ( I used Barney Butter!)
1/2 cup coconut sugar or other sugar
1 flax egg (3 tbs water, 1 tbs ground flax) or 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup M&Ms or dairy-free chocolate chips
* For those with allergies feel free to sub with Sunbutter or peanut butter if you're not peanut-free!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl except for the M&Ms and mix well. Once the batter is combined, fold in the chocolate and mix well.
3. Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly across the bottom of a greased 8x8 inch pan.
4. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
5. Once the blondies are cooked, remove from oven and add a few extra M&M’s on top for decoration. Allow to cool completely before cutting to ensure blondes remain intact.
*Store in an airtight container or freezer
Nutritional Facts (per one blondie)
210 calories, 14g fat, 18g carbs, 3g fiber, 13g sugar, 4g protein
Thanks to Barney Butter – makers of this Smooth Almond Butter – for sponsoring product for this post! And for being a great brand all-around.