Rise and shine you guys! Breakfast just got a little more exciting (and by a little I mean a lot!) This week was a big week for me: I discovered cauliflower mash (aka cauliflower "mashed potatoes.") I know you might have seen it all over Pinterest and Instagram, but have you actually tried it? Okay, so not going to lie, I was skeptical, but once you get the consistency down and add some flavor this stuff rocks! Plus you can add it to virtually anything (think: salads, breakfast bowls, side dishes, etc.)
Being the edgy girl that I am, I decided to take my cauliflower mash to the next level and added an egg, some sauteed spinach, chives, garlic and olive just to get fancy. I know this may sound complex, but once you read through the recipe you'll see that it's a piece of cake. Why I'm most obsessed with cauliflower mash is that it makes a HUGE portion. If you cook for yourself it should last you about a week and is great reheated!
Eeek! I can't wait to hear what you think!!
Rise & Shine Morning Bowl
Time: 30 minutes
Cauliflower Mash Ingredients
One large head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Rise & Shine Morning Bowl Ingredients
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups of spinach
1 organic egg
Cauliflower Mash Directions
1. Chop the cauliflower into small florets and place in a large pot with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Cover the pot and steam the veggies on medium-low heat for 10 minutes or so until the cauliflower is tender.
2. As the cauliflower steams, place one tablespoon of olive oil into a frying pan and add the minced garlic. Heat on medium heat for two minutes or until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat.
3. Once the cauliflower has steamed, strain the florets and add in small increments into a food processor. If you have a mini chopper you will have to do this in very small batches. Mash a small batch of cauliflower at a time and add to the large pot that you used to steam the cauliflower in. Repeat the process until all florets have been mashed.
4. Once all the cauliflower mash is in the large pot, set the pot on medium-low heat. Add the parmesan cheese, one tablespoon of butter, chives, salt and pepper and mix until creamy.
Rise & Shine Morning Bowl Directions
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and add the chopped garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and add 2 cups of spinach. Mix with a wooden spoon until spinach is tender and add salt and pepper. Transfer the sautéed spinach to a separate bowl and set aside
2. Using the same pan, cook an egg as desired.
3. Fill a small bowl with warm cauliflower mash. Top with sautéed spinach and an egg and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (per 1 serving)
290 calories, 26g fat, 5g carbs, 1g sugar, 0g protein