Oh fall, how I adore thee! But seriously, anyone else feel so much bliss around this time of year? This week I'm introducing my Harvest Apple Salad to the blog! This salad was inspired by a dish I had last autumn at Girard in Philadelphia and have been dreaming of it ever since!
Lately I've been on quite the apple kick. I just can't seem to get enough! I am notorious for putting apples into everything from salads, to smoothies, to oatmeal and even oven roasted veggies! I love em! In addition to being mighty tasty (and in season!) apples also have a ton of health benefits!
Here's why I'm obsessed:
- They are LOADED with fiber. Real bowl-churning fiber.
- They are incredibly satiating (shout out to fiber)
- They are great for bowl health and keeping our immune system healthy.
For those of you who share my affinity for apples, there are a few things you should know before buying:
- Location location location. If possible, try to find apples that are from your area or coast.
- Splurge on organic. Apples have one of the highest pesticide ratings of any fruit. Spend the extra money.
HARVEST APPLE SALAD
Time: 5 Minutes
6 cups arugula, washed & dried
1 large organic apple, finely chopped
1 cup cooked farro or quinoa
1/4 cup pecans
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Place the arugula, chopped apples and cooked grain into a large salad bowl.
2. Place the pecans on a dry frying pan on high medium high heat. Drizzle one tablespoon of maple syrup over the pecans and cook for one minute until the nuts are toasted.
3. Throw the warm pecans and parmesan cheese into the salad bowl. Drizzle the salad with the olive oil and balsamic and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
285 calories, 20g fat, 24g carbs, 3g fiber, 14g sugar, 6g protein