Growing up, my Dad used to read a book to me called “Summer.” It’s a children’s picture book from 1964 written by Alice Low. The book tells a story about a brother, a sister and their dog and recalls their favorite things about summer. In fact, many of the book's pages start with the words “summer brings." To this day, I still use those words to describe things that quintessentially capture the essence of summer. And to me, that’s exactly what this Blackberry Peach Compote represents... Pure summer.
Though I know that the season is near, there are some things I simply can not bear to see go. Namely things like juicy summer fruits, endless glasses of iced tea and eternal sunshine to name a few. As I mentioned in my last post, I have been on a roll with summer recipes and frankly, I don’t intend to stop until these 80 degree days cease to exist.
This Easy Blackberry Peach Compote is incredibly simple to make and can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert, depending on your toppings. For breakfast, I recommend mixing it with unsweetened yogurt and sprinkling ground flaxseeds on top. For dessert, it pairs beautifully with vanilla Halo Top, almond milk ice cream, whipped cream or even creme fraiche if you’re feeling fancy.
Easy Blackberry Peach Compote
Time: 20 Minutes
4 Peaches, sliced and pitted
1 Tablespoon coconut sugar or granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons of unsweetened coconut flakes
1 6 oz. container of blackberries, washed
Yogurt, vanilla ice cream, etc. for topping
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line a 8x8 square baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Line the bottom of the pan with sliced peaches. Sprinkle coconut sugar and coconut flakes over the peaches and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, remove from oven and place the blackberries on top. Place the dish back in the oven for 2 minutes and remove.
5. Allow to cool before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving without toppings)
115 Calories, 2g fat, 27g carbs, 6g fiber, 21g sugar, 1g protein