Holy cow… Have I been on a homemade protein bar KICK.
Ever since developing these 4 Ingredient Cookie Dough Protein Bars I have become obsessed with making batches of these bad boys on a weekly basis.
They’re just too good.
Despite their relatively simple ingredients, these protein bars pack in 8g of protein at around 200 calories a pop. And best of all, they taste like DESSERT.
If you know me reeeally well, then you know that one of my biggest pet peeves is when I try a healthy recipe off Pinterest and it ends up tasting like absolute garbage.
I'm over wasting my time and money on "skinny" foods that taste like sh!t.
That’s why I’m so smitten with these bars. Not only are they relatively healthy and easy to make (4 ingredients baby!) but they’re also insanely delicious.
With the popularity of these protein bars in both my real life and online community, I decided to keep the party going and develop a new flavor each month. I even created a dedicated celebrity tab for them under "snacks" on She Well.
With September soon approaching, I'm getting giddy just THINKING of the flavors to come this fall... pumpkin spice anyone?! But alas, we'll stick to summer recipes for another month. Enjoy!
4 INGREDIENT BLUEBERRY PIE PROTEIN BARS
Makes 10 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wait Time: 1 hr
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 cup creamy almond butter at room temp (I used Barney Butter)
3 scoops (1/2 cup) vanilla protein powder (I used Olly)
1/4 cup honey or agave
2 tablespoons dried blueberries
Note: Depending on what kind of protein powder you are using you may need to add more or less sweetener to the recipe. In this recipe 1/2 cup of Olly Vanilla protein powder contained 13.5g of a sugar/stevia blend. If you can get your hands on this protein powder or something like it I highly recommend for baking.
Note: You can also use peanut butter or sunflower seed butter in place of almond butter. Nut butters with oil in them will lend to more of a "protein bar" texture. Plain nut butters with only nuts as the ingredient will be create a crunchy cookie texture. Both are equally delicious ;)
1. Line an 8x8 square baking dish with tin foil and set aside.
2. Place 1 cup of almond butter in a large bowl ( I like to wet the cup first to avoid the almond butter from sticking) Add in the protein powder and stir (see note above regarding protein powder).
3. Once the almond butter and protein powder are mixed add in the honey. If your protein powder is on the sweeter side, I would add honey in by the tablespoon to ensure that the bars are not too sweet. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Once the batter is mixed, fold in the dried blueberries.
4. Using a spatula, transfer the batter to the center of the foil-lined baking dish. Spread the batter evenly, using the spatula to make sure that the dough spreads evenly.
5. Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
6. After an hour, remove the baking dish from the freezer and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
7. Lift the tinfoil with the bars still on it and place on a firm surface. Cut the batch in half horizontally and then cut vertically into 5 columns to get 10 bars. Place each bar on a foil-lined baking sheet at least one inch a part.
8. Bake at 300 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Allow to cool fully before storing to ensure the bars hold their shape.
* Store in the fridge for 3 weeks or freezer for up to 6 weeks.
Nutritional Information (per bar)
200 calories, 12g fat, 16g carbs, 4g fiber, 12g sugar, 8g protein