Plastic water bottles make our lives easier. They are convenient and easy to take on-the-go. However, did you know that they can be harmful to our health?
Here are 5 facts you didn’t know about plastic water bottles:
1. Plastic bottles are often made in petrochemical plants in which plastic is exposed to all sorts of chemicals during the manufacturing process. As a result, the plastic often leaches into the water, especially if exposed to warmer temperatures.
2. Besides the fact that water bottles have been found to leach plastic into our water, they have also been found to contain radio-active chemicals, arsenic and other industrial solvents to name a few.
3. Many companies make big bucks by selling you filtered tap water that has been bottled for the same price as spring water.
4. 18 million barrels of oil a year are used to transport plastic water bottles, contributing to global warming.
5. There are about 9 million football fields of land (roughly the size of Texas) of plastic waste found in our oceans and on land. Because of our plastic waste, animals often consume pollutants which in turn gets eaten by humans, bringing chemicals into the human body.
What can you do to help the environment and your health?
1. Buy a reusable stainless steel, glass or BPA-free (free of the chemical bisphenol A,) water bottle to take with you on the go.
2. Trade in plastic water bottles for boxed water - find more info here
3. Ditch buying water bottles for your home and buy a Brita or other type of water filter.